The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Project Directorate (PJ), Urban and Territorial Development Department (UTD), JASPERS Coordination and Capacity Building Division (JCC) at its headquarters in Luxembourg or in Brussels*, a (Senior) Projects Economist. This is a full time position at grade 5/6 linked to JASPERS* Partnership Advisory.
Panel interviews are anticipated from mid-October onwards.
This campaign aims at establishing a reserve list for the position of (Senior) Economist. Engagements will be made upon confirmation of funding through the JASPERS mandate on a 4 year basis. Confirmation of funding is expected to be secured in the course of 2021.
(*) If the candidate is selected for Brussels, it is possible that the chosen candidate at some point has to relocate from Brussels to Luxembourg.
As a (Senior) Projects Economist (internally referred to as (Senior) Economist), you will contribute actively to the development of a robust pipeline of capacity building as well as other initiatives related to institutional strengthening of JASPERS counterparts on economic appraisal and other project-related topics. In addition, you will provide advice to projects that will benefit from EU funds and in many cases EIB co-financing, thus increasing the quality of projects supported by the Bank.
*JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions) is a partnership between the European Commission and the EIB providing advisory and capacity building support to EU, Pre-accession and Neighborhood Countries for the preparation of sound investment projects to be co-financed by EU financial sources.
You will report to the Head of JASPERS Coordination and Capacity Building Division. You will collaborate on a daily basis under the guidance and in close cooperation with the Capacity Building Coordinator and will have regular contact with other divisions in the Projects Directorate, Advisory Services, the Independent Quality Review Division, and with colleagues in other Directorates, notably with Operations Directorate.
In addition, you may interact closely with the European Commission Services (in particular DG REGIO), beneficiaries and managing authorities in all relevant JASPERS’ countries of operation. As part of the role, you will be expected to travel to other countries where JASPERS operates.
- Promote a coherent and harmonized approach to economic appraisal of investment projects and other related activities supported by JASPERS, including those aimed at building capacity of its counterparts. Support the activity of other economists in Regional offices and Headquarters.
- Contribute to the coordination of the economists in JASPERS, in the regular economist coordination meetings, ensuring close collaboration with relevant PJ working groups and Departments’ economics focal points, on all initiatives related to economic appraisal and preparation of related guidelines. (including those related to advisory work).
- Advise on and assess, at an early stage, the quality of potential projects and horizontal/capacity building activities for inclusion into JASPERS Country Action Plans.
- Provide expert advice to technical assignments for project preparation support, capacity building and other technical assistance activities to JASPERS’ counterparts, focusing on economic matters, project preparation requirements and relevant good practices.
- Assess the economic and financial viability of investment projects and programs in the various sectors, in the EU Member States. Assess the market conditions supporting the above-referred economic and financial viability, with a particular focus on project demand, financial sustainability (including, when applicable, the associated tariff systems and/or budget support schemes), and underlying economic considerations.
- Provide technical inputs and analyses for the assessment of projects for EU funding including from CF, ERDF, CEF and IPA funds. Review and control quality of the economic sectorial analysis for investments supported by JASPERS. Provide specialist advice on the conceptual development and structuring of individual projects and programmes, taking into account economic considerations in compliance with relevant requirements and EC guidance (including the EC CB Guide and the Economic Appraisal Vademecum recently developed with JASPERS support).
- Design and deliver targeted trainings and other capacity building activities on economic appraisal and related subjects, also through the development of methodological papers, design of model approaches and case studies, and dissemination of international good practices. Produce sector, policy and other papers related to economics and project preparation methodologies when required.
- Keep abreast of the latest scientific information, conduct research in order to provide technical advice and recommendations through internal notes and papers issued by JASPERS for internal knowledge sharing and in support of beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Develop concepts for integration into IT tools for incorporating economic assessment into projects as well as for capacity building purposes, in close cooperation with other initiatives promoted by the Bank.
- Develop and maintain, in close co-ordination with the Capacity Building coordinator, external contacts, including the corresponding units in the European Commission, public authorities and managing authorities in JASPERS countries of operations.
- Act as focal point for Capacity Building activities for a specific sector, in collaboration with other JASPERS divisions.
- University degree in a relevant domain, in particular economics or business studies.
- A relevant post-graduate degree at Master’s level or above, or equivalent would be an advantage;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience with a specific focus on addressing economic considerations in the context the preparation of investment projects.
- Good knowledge of economic and financial modelling including risk analysis;
- Previous experience with designing and delivering trainings and in developing guidelines in the field of economics related to projects and investments will be considered an advantage.
- Good knowledge of economic analysis methodologies for projects assessment, including both general methods and application to investment projects in various fields.
- Previous experience in delivery advisory for project preparation in sectors relevant to JASPERS operations and in coordinating teams will be an advantage.
- Experience in or working with EU institutions and with Cost-benefit Analysis and economic appraisal methods and tools promoted by the EC will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge of standard IT tools
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French(*), with a good knowledge of the other. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of one or more languages of the countries where JASPERS operates would be an distinctive advantage
Find out more about EIB core competencies here
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 16th September 2021.
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.
APPLY via the following link