As part of the project „Phase 3 – Leave No One Behind!“ (100 %)
Berlin, full-time, starting as soon as possible, fixed term contract until 31.12.2024
Handicap International (HI) is a non-profit organisation for humanitarian action and development assistance, active in over 60 countries around the world. We aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion. We strive at improving the situation of persons with disabilities in a sustainable way and support those in need of specific protection. Furthermore, we advocate for a world without cluster bombs or mines as well as against bombing of civilian populations. HI is a co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Price of 1997. Handicap International e.V. is the German association of the international organisation Humanity & Inclusion.
Handicap International e. V. has been implementing the “Leave No One Behind!” project series funded by the German Federal Foreign Office since 2016 together with Christoffel Blindenmission Christian Blind Mission e.V. (CBM) and the Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (IFHV) at Ruhr University Bochum.
The project “Phase 3 – Leave No One Behind: Mainstreaming Disability in Global and Local Humanitarian Action in Line with the IASC Guidelines on Inclusion” started in January 2022 and will run for three years.
The project aims to support international and local humanitarian actors, including organisations of persons with disabilities, in implementing the IASC Guidelines on Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Humanitarian Action by:
- Providing attractive capacity development opportunities for humanitarian actors,
- Developing responsive guidelines and tools, building local technical support structures and setting-up a pool of local experts in inclusive humanitarian action in selected pilot countries in East and West Africa,
- Increasing the evidence base through applied research on good and innovative practices, and case studies on operationalising the IASC Guidelines.
In particular, the Project Result 1 aims to continue and expand the successful capacity development activities for German, international and local humanitarian actors on inclusive humanitarian action. In addition to training activities and technical support opportunities, learning modules on different humanitarian sectors will be developed and guest lectures provided in two German universities.
We are looking for a committed and experienced project officer to implement and coordinate the various tasks of Result 1.
The activities will take place online and offline, at national and international level, with a focus on German humanitarian actors and their local partners. The project officer can draw on innovative and proven learning materials, modules, methods, pool of experts and tested content from phase 1 and 2 of the project.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate the learning modules and series in cooperation with the project partners and members of the HI project team.
- Identify and engage external and internal experts and guest speakers for the implementation of the project activities under Result 1.
- Coordinate and, according to the level of expertise, create attractive learning modules and content on inclusive humanitarian action.
- First point of contact for consultations with and coaching of humanitarian actors
- Regular reporting to the project coordinator.
- Writing articles on the training events and workshops for communication purposes.
- Contribute to the further development and learning processes of our project.
- Degree in a relevant field (e.g. humanitarian action, development cooperation, rehabilitation, political or social sciences, disability or gender studies) and several years of relevant professional or equivalent experience.
- Professional knowledge and experience in designing attractive learning, sensitisation and change processes (online/offline), including conceptualisation and implementation of interactive, effective and high-quality trainings and coaching, ideally in the field of humanitarian action.
- Professional knowledge and experience in the implementation of projects in humanitarian action, development cooperation, and/or on the inclusion of persons with disabilities, gender equity or other intersectional topics, ideally also at the interface of humanitarian action and disability/inclusion/diversity.
- Intercultural and/or inclusion competence, experience in face-to-face and remote collaboration in international teams and with project partners.
- Very good knowledge of German and English, as well as disability-sensitive, diversity-aware and target group-appropriate language skills.
- Confident use of common office software and online communication and collaboration tools (e.g. MS Teams, Zoom, Mural, Padlet).
- Project management experience, organisational and administrative skills, knowledge of digital and analogue accessibility.
- High degree of self-organisation, initiative, flexibility, ability to work under pressure and in a team, as well as enjoyment of a dynamic working environment.
- Friendly and professional approach, excellent coordination, verbal and written communication and networking skills.
- Willingness to relocate/ work from Berlin Office, and to travel in Germany, Europe and possibly to East Africa.
- Identification with the values and goals of Handicap International e.V.
What we Offer:
- An exciting and innovative field of activity with a great deal of creative freedom, responsibility and a high degree of autonomy.
- Working in a highly motivated, international team as part of Handicap International in Germany and the international federation Humanity & Inclusion.
- Participation in an innovative project for inclusive humanitarian action in cooperation with international humanitarian and scientific partners.
- Business trips within Germany and the EU, and if necessary outside the EU.
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours as well as the possibility of mobile working at the Berlin location.
- A full-time position with 39 hours/week, 30 days of leave and remuneration according to TVÖD-VKA 11.
If you are enthusiastic about our mission and want to contribute to the implementation of our project with your skills, we look forward to receiving your application!
How to apply
Please send your complete application (CV, relevant references, letter of motivation, stating your earliest possible starting date) summarised in a PDF file by 12.08.2022 by email to email@example.com with “Projektreferent*in Kapazitätsaufbau LNOB” in the subject line.
Due to the urgency, we reserve the right to conduct initial selection interviews before the application deadline.